So since condiments are not just dips, today I'm writing about a Relish. Cucumber Relish.
A summer favourite at home. This a part of the 30 days 30 dips series as well.
I learnt this from my mother in law, one of her many famous recipes.
Summer time I always have two jars full of this relish stacked in my refrigerator. These make amazing homemade food gifts too.
The cucumber relish will add zing to any meal. We at home like it with our burgers or sandwiches, though my mum's uncle eats with his chapatis, dal and vegetables too.
It gives a meaty burger a new dimension of flavour when added to. OOh...I want to have one now !!
1 kg Seedless Cucumber
1-2 White Onions
2 tbsp Whole Yellow Mustard
1/2 cup White Vinegar
1 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
2-3 Fresh Red Chillies
2-3 sprigs of Dill Leaves
Salt to taste
For soaking cucumbers:
1 tbsp Salt
1.Wash and pat dry the cucumbers. Slice them. I use my food processor for slicing them It's quick and convenient and I get all slices of the same thickness.
2. Peel and slice the white onions.
3. Soak the sliced cucumber and onions in salted water for 2 hours. Drain well after two hours. (We do this to remove any kind of bitterness in the cucumbers)
4. Take a deep pan or a cooking pot. Add the vinegar and sugar and 1/2 cup water. Add red chillies which are cut diagonally, yellow mustard seeds, black pepper. Cook it till the sugar dissolves.
5. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the drained cucumbers and onions.
6. Stir gently and cook till the cucumbers become translucent. Add the dill leaves now.
7. Let it cool down completely then store in sterilized bottles and refrigerate.
You can store these in the refrigerator for upto a year. That is if if any are left till then . :-) Trust me I need to hide them to save them :-)
The more it ages, the better it tastes.
Happy Relishing !!