Baking a cake always leaves me smiling !! If I were a doggie I'd be sitting outside the kitchen door waiting for the cake to get done and then wait to get my share !! Yeah that's exactly how I feel when I bake a cake.... the aroma, a butter cakes creates in my house is sooooo soothing, happy, promising and inviting !! The smell of a comfortable bakery.
Lamingtons originated in Australia, are cubes or square cakes made with either a sponge or a basic vanilla cake, dipped in chocolate icing and dusted with desiccated coconut. They are quick to make, look amazing and leave you with that happy comfortable contentment.
Lamingtons were the daring bakers challenge last month which I so wanted to participate in but could not because of some other issues going on in my life beyond the blog but I could not get over these beauties so they were high on my to do list and here I go today. I like them ! Now I'm waiting for the verdicts from my dad and KJ !!
For the cake:
125 g All purpose flour
75 g Cornflour
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 pinches of Baking Soda
1 cup of Castor Sugar
125g of Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
For the Icing
3 ¼ cups icing sugar
1/3 cocoa powder
1 tbsp butter, melted
½ to ¾ cup Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degree C. Line a square baking dish with parchment.
2. Sift together flour, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda. Do this atleast 3 times and keep aside.
3. Cream the sugar and butter together.
4. Add eggs one by one into the sugar-butter cream. You need to add eggs one by one to make sure the mixture doesn't split. Add the vanilla essence
5. Once all eggs are incorporated well, add the flour in about 3 batches.
6. If the batter looks too thick add about 2 tbsp of milk or else transfer into the baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes or until the cake is done.
7. Remove the cake from the cake mould and transfer on a cooling rack. Let it col down completely.
8. Once the cake is completely cool, cut it up into equal sized square pieces.
To make the icing:
1. Combine icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Whisk it well. Add the butter and milk and whisk again. Now put it on a pan of boiling water. Basically we need to create a double boiler here. Make sure the water doesn't touch the bowl on the top which has the sugar and cocoa mix. While on the pot pan of water, whisk the cocoa - icing sugar mix well, till ingredients are well incorporated and you get a thick saucy consistency.
2. In another bowl put some desiccated coconut.
1. Take the cake squared and first dip it in to the chocolate icing. coast well.
2. Now carefully remove from the icing bowl (you could use a fork to do this) and transfer into the desiccated coconut bowl. Coat well again. Make sure the squares are properly coated with the coconut on all sides.
3. Put on the rack . Repeat this step with all the squares.
Now place the lamingtons on a plate and refrigerate for about 30-45 minutes. Serve.
Happy Baking !!
I loved it, hope when I will try & taste it soon :)ReplyDelete
Thank you. If you do make this...let me know how it turned out . :-)Delete
Giulia thank you dear :-)Delete